My mama’s tasty vegetarian Puerto Rican inspired recipe: chickpeas at sofrito served with arroz-con-gandules (rice with pigeon-peas). Delicious and packaged with plant-based protein that is wholesome!
I really like to make this and serve with tostones and avocado slices. It is a tasty plant-based meal that is simple to meal-prep for the week, or serveto a crowd. I hope you love this recipe as far as we all do!
If you don’t have Pigeon Peas for the rice
In case you don’t have pigeon peas, which’re traditional, you may use green-peas instead. Only increase the water from the recipe by ½ cup (so you would have 3 ½ cups total). Once you draw water to a boil you may add 1 cup of frozen-peas and the rice.
If you want you can make Homemade Sazon
This is an excellent, flavorful option to have at home. For this entire recipe you will need the following: ½ tbsp ground cumin, ½ tbsp ground coriander, ½ tbsp garlic powder, ½ tbsp ground annatto seeds (or sub turmeric), ¼ tsp black pepper and 1 ½ tsp salt.
Mix together everything in a small-bowl. For those chickpeas you will need 1 tbsp and for your rice you will need 1 tbsp of the DIY sazon spice blend.
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
Please, if you recreate this Mama’s Chickpeas in Sofrito with Arroz con Gandules Recipe, don’t forget to give me STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thanks!
Try these Delicious Vegan Recipes options:
- Ginger Sweet Potato Coconut Milk Stew With Lentils and Kale
- Delicious Super Easy Mushroom Bourguignon
- Vegan Spaghetti with Chickpeas
- Creamy Golden Rice with Spiced Chickpeas
- Vegan Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Tomato and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Risotto
Mama’s Chickpeas in Sofrito with Arroz con Gandules
For the Sofrito (For the Chickpeas)
- 3 tsp 2 packets Sazon
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup very finely diced green-bell-pepper
- 2 15 oz cans BUSH’S® Garbanzo Beans rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup finely diced cilantro
- ½ cup very finely diced yellow-onion
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetarian-broth (or water)
- 1 cup tomato-sauce from one 15 oz can, reserve extra sauce for rice
- 2 tsp olive-oil
For the Rice:
- 2 cups basmati white-rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- ½ cup no salt added tomato-sauce
- 1 15 oz can green-pigeon-peas
- 3 tsp 2 packets sazon-seasoning
- ⅓ cup very finely diced green-bell-pepper
- ⅓ cup very finely diced yellow-onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp olive-oil
- avocado slices
- extra fresh chopped cilantro
- Make the Sofrito: Add olive oil into a medium-pot & set over moderate heat.
- After oil is hot, then add green bell pepper, onion, peppermint and garlic. Saute till green peppers soften and onions are translucent for 2-4minutes.
- Bring heat to low & then add sazon and tomato sauce, simmer for 2-3minutes till sauce comes together.
- Add from the chickpeas-beans and broth then simmer uncovered over low-heat as you cook the rice, stirring periodically, so the spices infuse with the beans.
- If you become aware of the liquid becoming too low, this probably means simmering at too high of a heat, but no worries you can just add yet another ½ cup water or broth.
- While the chickpeas are simmering with sofrito, begin making the rice: Add oil into a medium-pot, set over moderate heat. After oil is hot, add green pepper, onion, peppermint and garlic.
- Saute till onions are translucent and green peppers soften for 2-4minutes. Bring warmth to medium-low and add tomato sauce, then sazon and simmer for 2minutes or till sauce comes together.
- Next add in whole can of pigeon-peas (together with all the liquid DO NOT DRAIN) add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. When it boils, stir in 2 cups of rice, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20minutes till rice is tender.
- Taste the rice and adjust seasonings as needed, such as adding additional salt.
- To serve: add beans and rice into a bowl with additional sauce in the beans, garnish with cilantro and avocado slices.