This mushroom bourguignon is your greatest hearty, comforting vegan stew and it is also amazingly low calorie!
This mushroom bourguignon based on a French-dish known as boeuf bourguignon. If you can speak even a little French, then you will understand that boeuf means steak, so clearly the first recipe is not vegetarian. It is a rich beef stew made with red wine.
This version is completely vegetarian. The beef is replaced by a few ‘meaty’ mushrooms together with baby onions and baby carrots.
This hearty vegan stew starts by skillet off the veggies in a dash of oil. Since whole baby carrots and baby onions require a reasonable bit of cooking. They won’t actually soften up in this phase, however the mushrooms will releasing the juices which will finally provide loads of flavour into the casserole’s rich sauce.
Regardless of how this mushroom bourguignon is actually rich and hearty, it is really amazingly low calorie, less than 200-calories per bowl!
Please, if you recreate this Mushroom Bourguignon Recipe, don’t forget to give me STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thanks!
- 9 oz baby carrots (about 250 g)
- 9 oz baby onions (about 250 g)
- 1 ¾ lb mushrooms cut into chunky pieces (I used chestnut-mushrooms & mini-portobellos) (about 850 g)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (about 250 ml)
- ¾ cup red wine (about 185 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree or paste
- 1 small bunch fresh-thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- Peel the baby-onions and eliminate the tops and tails, but otherwise leave whole. Additionally top and tail the baby-carrots.
- Heat the oil in a large-pan then add the mushrooms, baby onions and baby carrots.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 5-10minutes, adding the garlic for the past few minutes of cooking time. The mushrooms must be tender and ought to have released their juices. The carrots and onions will nonetheless be rather hard.
- Add the red-wine and turn the heat. Simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well to blend.
- If necessary, move the mix to an oven-safe casserole-dish. Cover with a lid or any foil then bake at 375°F for 40minutes, or till the onions and carrots are cooked to your liking. Taste the seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!